Good News Friday (Yeah, I’m ignoring the inauguration): An incredible heroic feet in an Indian snowstorm. An oldie-but-goodie marriage proposal that may give you a big smile. And a woman’s dying wish to see UNC-Duke will come true.

copscarrypregnantwoman

I usually start these weekly posts with a “Happy Friday” greeting, but I can’t do it today because of,  you know, the Orange Man being inaugurated.

I will just say this: I hope so many of us are wrong about him.

OK, on to the first story, and this is pretty amazing. In the small village of Bhont, located in the northern hills of India, a 23-year-old woman named Kamini was nine months pregnant. Last week an enormous snowstorm hit her village, downing power lines and blocking roads. During the outages Kamini began feeling labor pains, and was prepared for the possibility of giving birth at home, with no one with any medical training available to help her.

Kamini’s parents were somehow able to walk to the local church, and found six policemen there. Telling them what the situation was, the policemen sprung into action.

The half-dozen officers walked back to Kamini’s house and carried her to the hospital, on a cot, for six miles on their shoulders. The trip took 3 1/2 hours, but they made it.

And a baby girl was born healthy. Six miles. In a snowstorm. On their shoulders.

Just fantastic. So much more good than evil in the world.

**Next up, I very rarely repeat videos from past posts, but some are so special that I like sharing them every once in a while. This might be my favorite video I’ve shared, and you may remember it since it went viral in 2012. Isaac in Portland, Ore., proposing to his wife, through a phenomenal lip-sync performance put on by he and their friends and family.

I’ve probably watched this 30 times, and I get choked up every single time. So great.

**And finally today, I know that 98 percent of people in America who follow sports hate Mike Krzyzewski and Duke, and even though I’m in the other 2 percent who think he’s an amazing man and coach, I recognize that there are lots of reasons people can dislike him.

But in the hopes of showing his softer side, I present this really sweet story.

A former Brigham Young University women’s basketball player named Melanie Pearson Day has terminal breast cancer, and may only have another year or two to live.

“Living life to the fullest is kind of my mantra now,” Day said. “I don’t know how much time I have, so I’m just going to do the most that I can with what I have.

She made a bucket list on her blog recently, and No. 1 was attending a Duke-North Carolina basketball game in Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke.

She added “no one gets tickets to that,” and it is one of the toughest tickets in sports every year.

But the world of sports is sometimes small and mean, but sometimes it’s wonderful. A BYU coach contacted Duke and told them about Day, and a short time later, with the help of Duke and donations from the BYU men’s and women’s basketball players and coaches, Day and her husband would be going to the Duke-North Carolina game on Feb. 9.

“I was in shock,” Day said. “I’m not outwardly emotional and I usually hold it inside. I was screaming and crying and jumping up and down inside but I just couldn’t get it out. I can’t believe it. It’s not going to really hit me until I’m there — and even then it’s going to feel surreal.”

Good job, Coach K. Now get healthy and help the team win, eh?

 

1http://www.upworthy.com/he-was-fired-when-he-attended-his-sons-birth-his-community-got-fired-up-too?c=upw1&u=cb6160b8f3ce7ca42584510beb833d0f1618179f

Advertisements

2 responses to “Good News Friday (Yeah, I’m ignoring the inauguration): An incredible heroic feet in an Indian snowstorm. An oldie-but-goodie marriage proposal that may give you a big smile. And a woman’s dying wish to see UNC-Duke will come true.

  1. very cool video. By the way you should read the Making of Donald Trump by David Cay Johnston. I might have suggested before What a despicable person. I don’t think any of the voters have any clue.

  2. never seen that video…both of us we’re laughing so hard…….
    Go Heels…..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s